Saturday, December 10, 2005

Zach's New Moccasins!

The longer we live in the north the more we are getting to learn and do. We have been in Teslin for over two years now and finally we are starting to feel like a part of the community. The subtitute teaching has been going great - the principal is trying to convince me I need to go to school to become a teacher - NOT LIKELY!!! I don't mind doing this part time but I don't think I would want to do it full time - I couldn't handle the parents! I took on another part time job. I am now the literacy program co-ordinator. The best part of this job is that most of it is from home, in the evenings, on the weekends, and I get to take the kids with me wherever I go. One of the Tlingit (clinkit) elders is teaching me how to make traditional first nations moccasins. I made my very first pair of baby slippers today. They are for Zach to wear home on our trip on wednesday. He hates wearing shoes so these will be perfect. I love doing the beading but sewing the foot part was a little more difficult cause I have never used a thimble before and you definately need one to go through all three layers of leather. The only thing I have left to do to these ones is put the eyelets in for some laces and to put some black herringbone stitching on the top. Only five more sleeps till we leave to go home and I cannot be anymore excited. I can't wait to see my sisters and get in some good yacking!!!

1 Comments:

At 8:02 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO excited to hear that you will be going home soon! I hope you have a gerat visit and then vacation.

The moccs sound great. You'll have to post a picture of them once they are finished.

Happy Holidays, and sorry I haven't emailed for awhile!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home